DOUG FORD HAS A PLAN FOR THE PEOPLE OF NORTHERN ONTARIO.Published on May 02, 2018
Affordable PC Plan will Respect and Empower Northern Municipalities, Families and Businesses
Ontario PC Leader Doug Ford today addressed the annual meeting of the Northwestern Ontario Municipalities Association (NOMA) during which he shared how his Plan for the People of Ontario will deliver real respect, real change and real hope for the people of Northern Ontario.
“I know that Northern municipalities, families and businesses feel like they are being taken for granted,” said Ford. “Things are getting more expensive, life is getting harder and harder and it’s getting tougher to get by. People are looking for change — but they are not just looking for any change — they are also looking for help and they are looking for hope. My message to them is that help is on the way.”
Ford shared additional details from his plan that will make life more affordable for Northern Ontario families while ensuring that Northern communities are treated with respect. These commitments include:
- Developing Northern Resources, including the Ring of Fire.
- Moving forward with resource revenue sharing from mining, forestry and aggregates to help Northern towns and Indigenous communities share in resource development
- Ensuring hunting and fishing revenues go toward their stated purpose of conservation
- Cutting the aviation fuel tax for the North to reduce the cost of living in the North and,
- Bringing back passenger rail service to the North
“Unlike Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals, our plan is both reasonable and responsible,” said Ford. “And most importantly, our plan is honest. We’re going to respect you and we’re going to work with you. On June 8th, I look forward to joining a team of dedicated and talented Northern Ontario MPPs to deliver the kind of change that the people of Northern Ontario deserve.”